Wednesday, April 28, 2010

i don't get it...

and maybe i never will. but some of the parents that i have to deal with STUN me (and that's an understatement). i went through fall conferences and i swear, sometimes it felt like i was giving a counseling session. some parents asked for advice which is what i did in regards to academics. i gave suggestions on strategies to motivate and help their kiddo grow and learn - bottom line is, i want their kiddo to feel good about themselves and succeed.
other times, i got straight up questions like: "i am at wits end with what to do. help me"...UH, hello. it's YOUR child. shouldn't the parents know better than the teacher...?

i know in my heart that it's not always so black and white. but i'd hope as a parent that you would know how to discipline your kid, fo
r the kid's sake. giving them EVERYTHING their little hearts desire is not the right answer. in my years of working with babies, toddlers, grade school kids...one of the biggest things they NEED are boundaries. i also hope that parents would know their kids 99% better than i would. but i guess that's why i have a big heart for my 23. sometimes i wonder if i'm the only adult in their life that loves them. maybe i'm the only adult that gives them boundaries. maybe i'm the only adult that guides them to make good life choices.

it breaks my heart when my 1st grader tells me:
"my dad doesn't live with us. he didn't want to be with us...he lives so far away...in portland."
"my mom came back! i'm so excited she decided to live with us again."
" i didn't come to school because my mom an
d dad got into a BIG fight."

i wish sometimes that before becoming a parent you are required by law to take some classes. these babies NEVER asked to be born...it is by our adult choices they enter into this world (and by the grace of God!) so it is our responsibility to give them the best life possible.

2 comments:

  1. amen sister!! our kids are going to be FULLL of love and logic :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hunney they're so lucky to have you. you're an amazing teacher. i think i know why too...cuz you live with a little kid...and i'm not talking about charlie. thank you for taking care of me and being so patient with me as i learn to be a better husband

    ReplyDelete